Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Soccer Mom's "You Know You're Catholic . . ."

Okay, I think everyone's linking to this today . . . I'll post my faves here. Soccer Mom's comments are in parens, mine after, if any.

You know you're a Catholic when...

One of your Crucifixes has five years worth of dried out palms stuck behind it. (*Mine are in little crosses...fun for the kids!) --Meg: Our parish here in Canada has a "trade-in" program the week before Ash Wednesday, to burn your old palms into the parish ashes. I think four is the most I've ever had stuck behind one.

They know you at every Catholic bookstore in the area, and ask you where you've been if you haven't stopped by in a while. --Meg: Oh yes.

You measure your life by number of Popes. --Meg: 4 so far (one very short, one very long).

You have a St. Christopher medal in you car. (*And a Miraculous Medal in one, too.) --Meg: Actually, I have one of those 4-way medals on my keychain . . .

You know more than 15 recipes for preparing tuna fish. --Meg: Canned salmon is inexpensive up here, ask me about my tasty casserole!

You refer to other religions as "Non-Catholic".

You carry prayer cards in your purse or wallet. --Meg: And like half my books.

You know a family whose every daughter has Mary, or every son has John Paul either as the first or middle name. --Meg: My nieces all have the first name Maria. And the first boy I knew named "John Paul" was born in 1980 - pretty quick-like popularity IMO! (Husband and I have discussed "Charles" if God ever sends us a boy, after you-know-who. Especially now that I'm a "-ski".)

Your coworkers point out that you have something on your face and as they go to wipe it off for you, you duck and scream "No, their my ashes!!" (*) --Meg: Oh, what Catholic doesn't just hate that on Ash Wednesday???

You know you're a Gen X Catholic when...

There were more felt banners bearing hippy slogans in your parish church than statues. --Meg: Word.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home