Saturday, February 11, 2006

Get your Valentine's Day hate on

Now, look: I've never really liked Valentine's Day. I've always been of the school that it's a bit of a put-up job by the floral and greeting-card industries (abetted by the choclatiers). The exception is that I did love my dad sending me little bud-vase-type arrangements at school every year (which was really sweet). I prefer Single Persons' Appreciation Day, even though I am now very happily married. Probably caused by an overdose one year of those rock-hard little candy hearts. However, I have to say -- these ladies feel much more strongly about it than I do!

Activists burn Valentine's Day cards in Kashmir

Srinagar, February 10: Nearly two dozen black-veiled Muslim women stormed gift and stationery shops Friday in Kashmir, burning Valentine's Day cards and posters to protest a holiday they say imposes Western values on Muslim youth.

No one was hurt in the half-dozen or so incidents, and police cordoned off the area to prevent the women from marching through Srinagar's main shopping district to continue their ransacking.

The women were from the Kashmiri Islamic group Dukhtaran-e-Millat, or Daughters of the Community, Kashmir's only women's separatist group, whose members are also known for their fiercely conservative social views.
[H/t Michelle Malkin via Cafeteria]

Okay, see, this is where you in the media keep messing up. I have "fiercely conservative social views". Whereas these ladies are actually in favor of a theocracy, just like you all accuse us evil right-wing conservatives of wanting (which we don't). It's like calling the old guard in Beijing "conservatives". Yeah, I think Burke and Oakeshott might disagree with you there.

Anyway. To the husbands of these ladies: If you're the rare sort of fellow who plans ahead, make sure you cancel the floral delivery. And no naughty underwear!

2 Comments:

Blogger Rose DesRochers said...

"Valentine's Day," Ba Humbug! Rant on!

Rose DesRochers

2/11/2006 07:14:00 PM  
Blogger Candace said...

"no naughty underwear" too funny.

I'm with you - Valentine's Day is for Hallmark, FTD & Bernard Callebout. Well, Callebout I can live with.

2/11/2006 10:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home