Friday, January 20, 2006

More Camino enthusings

Well, I've been using Camino for almost two months, and I have to say I love it. It really does load fast, and I haven't run into much it can't handle. I keep Safari around for emergencies, but that's it, and I've totally stopped using Firefox - nothing wrong with Firefox, but Camino's just so much better, and it improves as the builds go along.

I've also downloaded several (free) programs that have made working in Camino even more fun. One is CaminoKnight; this automates the process of downloading the nightly build and installing it over the previous version (if you start using Camino at all you'll learn what I mean, and appreciate this program). Another is CaminIcon, which allows you to download and install different themes and icons for your Camino interface - you would use this instead of extensions (if you're familiar with Firefox) or add-ons to Safari like SafarIcon, which is written by the same talented fellow. There's also nadamac's CamiTools, which adds on to the Preferences and is a real bonus; you should just take a look. I suppose the two things I like most about it are 1) the toolbar search engine editor (I had downloaded an extension for this in Firefox and loved it) and 2)the view options, although the block options are also great if that's a problem for you (I really try to practice safe surfing so it's not so bad for me -- at the moment).

Anyway, I'm so psyched about the fun I've been having noodling around with Camino's appearance, I thought I'd take a screenshot and share it with you. This is using the "Plastic" theme (incomplete icon set) from this Camino Builds and Themes Page. Gives a kind of clean Safari feel, but it's all Camino. Though I think I'll change the bookmarks to blue. Needs a little color - and in CaminIcon, it's easy to do!

Camino

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't use any browsers other than IE6. I just can't be bothered. I'm an old stick-in-the-mud type. However, I do use AVG7 antivirus (it's free), spybot search & destroy (with tea-timer) to immunize the puter from bad websites pages, also keeps nasty programs from installing and making changes to your registry. Ad-Aware, to work in conjunction with Spybot S&D, and a lil anti-keylogger program that alerts me anytime a program wants to read my screen, or hook my keyboard. I remain as always, clean and problem free :))) All these can be had for free @ download.com If you have any questions Meg, just let me know. Cheers!

1/29/2006 12:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home