Wednesday, January 18, 2006

1.5 million cast ballots in early voting

Elections Canada has the figures here. According to the CBC, that is a 25% upturn for the national total over the 2004 election. In the U.S., heavy early voting means good news for conservative candidates, but I don't know if it has the same correllation here in Canada.

(Interesting bit under the election turnout story suggesting that drop in voter turnout may be related to lack of civics classes. My husband's told me before that most Canadian schools have dropped civics, but it's still hard to believe. What do they take instead? A second semester of sex ed? Video game theory 101??)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

civics? *scratches head* Never had it in my school 25 yrs ago. I think back then you were forced to take atleast 1 yr of french. Perhaps that was the filler? Just a thought...

1/20/2006 12:58:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home