Wednesday, April 11, 2007

BLT a la Meg

As the weather's warmed back up (it's up and down here - and thus go my migraines), I had the desire for a fresh, yummy BLT. Doctrine aside, if there was one thing that would ever keep me from becoming Muslim, this is it. (You can pry my BLT out of my cold, dead fingers!!!) Thought I would share with you the secrets to a super-tasty sammawich.

1. Good ingredients - I use Hellman's (which is the best store-bought I can get here - Cooks Illustrated gives it a good rating), a good crisp lettuce leaf, a nice tomato, and 3 or 4 strips of bacon. Plus 2 slices good bread (I used what our grocery calls "Italian loaf") and salt and pepper.

2. Spread mayonnaise on both pieces of bread - this whole sandwich is a bit of a "diet-breaker", but it's good and fresh, too, as long as you pile on the L & T, so don't skimp here. Then (here's the tasty secret) liberally sprinkle pepper on each slice.
blt1
The deliciousness begins with a good base.

3. Thinly slice half a tomato. Arrange slices on one bread slice; salt lightly.
blt2
We're getting there.

4. Arrange lettuce (which should be washed, dried, and torn) on top of tomatoes. Then arrange bacon slices on other slice of bread.
blt3
La piece de resistance.

Serve with a nice, refreshing drink (I had Rose's Lime Cordial with soda water - I don't like colas but that's a favorite "soft drink" for me) and enjoy.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Meg! I wandered over from the Manolo...

My hands-down favorite sangwinch.

I prefer my bread lightly toasted but -- no matter -- I'm salivating ovah heah.

Cheers!

-- desertwind

4/13/2007 04:41:00 AM  
Blogger Meg Q said...

Good call! Sometimes I like to toast, sometimes not - lightly if doing so.

Thanks for coming by - I LOVE the Manolo (the blog & the shoes)!

4/14/2007 04:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

of course your recipe is good - as is almost any recipe with bacon in it - but if you want to take it up another notch (the hnl [whole 'nother level of MAD TV]) add a fresh basil leaf or two.

5/26/2007 07:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home