Saturday, October 01, 2005

Cooler than a Leif Garrett hairdo

I was at Chapters (for Americans: it's kind of Canada's Borders) this evening and flipped through the second issue of Make (which is super-cool if you're at all inclined to things computersish or DIY-ish). On the last page, they had an Atari 2600 portable that this fellow, Ben Heckendorn, had hacked together. I thought that was about the coolest thing I'd ever seen. I mean, how many of those little game cartridges are still out there? Well, I got home and looked it up, here's the picture from his website:

Atari 2600 VCSp

Go here, then click on the "Original VCSp" and you can see what he did. And read his story - the way he tells it is a riot! And - if you're a Gen-X'er like him (and me) and want to recapture the joy of Christmas 1977, he is now manufacturing Atari portables. Oh, yes, my friend. So tell that 15-year-old down the street with the newest Japanese machine to get lost and get down with your 35-year-old bad self! (Actually, if you have an "old" system that you just can't let go of, he has a whole set of forums dedicated to modding and converting various systems, and now a book and kits as well, plus the "Atari portables" he's making. Rock on!!!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home